Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Special Olympics National Summer Games

From July 11 - July 17th, I headed home to London with Mommy as she attended the Special Olympics Summer Games for work.
Much to Mommy's dismay, this meant that she had to enter TD Waterhouse Stadium...home of the Western Mustangs. But she was sure to douse herself with holy water before the Opening Ceremonies. She would have doused the Vanier Cup as well, but wait....it's at QUEEN'S!!!!


Here is Team Ontario entering the stadium. They sent the largest contingent with 411 athletes.

While they may have had one of the smallest teams, those Yukoners really knew how to dress!

Serge, Executive Director of SO Yukon agrees!!!

With all of the athletes seated, it was time to bring in the torch...

500 police officers representing the Law Enforcement Torch Run (LETR) accompanied the flame but in then end...only one can carry it.


Let the games begin!!

Kennedy and his sister Madison had a great time at the Opening Ceremonies. They were part of the VIP experience hosted by Mommy's office. We made instant friends with them and had a wonderful time visiting the various sporting events throughout the week.

Some people just don't appreciate the merits of the foam finger!!! Right Tom?

But I certainly did as I cheered on Team Ontario at the Aquatic Centre. Mommy was so proud of me as I was figured out which swimmers were wearing Ontario swim caps all by myself and cheered loudly during each heat.

I took this photo of one of the heats. Speaking of heat...it was a real sauna in there!!
While Mommy worked, I got to put my own swimming skills to use with at Nana's with my new floaty swimsuit.

It allowed me to swim all by myself (and gave Mommy a chance to try out her new camera. It's waterproof up to 50 feet!).

By the middle of the week, I was brave enough to jump in from the top step!
GERONIMO!
Thanks Nana for watching me all week while Mommy came and went for work. As always, I had a blast at your house and it made Mommy's week a lot easier knowing that I would be well feed for a week (and not subjected to Daddy's crunchy pasta!).

And Mommy was grateful that I was able to attend my very first National Special Olympics Games at only 4.5 years old!

No comments: